Skip to main content

Battle Storm...


Storm's coming, war's brewing, rolling clouds choke the light,
Cannon's rumble, bodies tumble, exploding stars steal the night.

The heavens clap, the battle's snap, sinking deep the wounded fall,
The lightning's spark, the thunder's hawk, drinking in the warring pall.

Soldiers crawl, the ranks sprawl, beneath the wall of death,
Eyes clenched tight, in teeth-bared fight, bequeathed their final breath.

Comments

  1. I have been watching some Gettysburg specials on the History Channel, and this sooo goes along with the battle scenes that took place there. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've actually been working on a Civil War piece and I guess it spilled over into the Short Story Slam, lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing I love using imagery of a storm to describe war, its a perfect metaphor

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The lightning's spark, the thunder's hawk, drinking in the warring pall."

    Loved this line. Great use of consonance.

    Vivid work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mindlovemisery-- Thanks! Thunder gets so loud sometimes, it often sounds like a war going on in the sky... couldn't resist the metaphor :-)

    @Bryce-- Thanks for stopping by! Loved your "Kansas Epiphany" entry--- I lived my entire life in tornado alley, but never had one get that close!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very brilliant take.

    powerful take.
    well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a strong connection between the elements of war and the elements of a terrible storm - you captured it perfectly , especially the accompanying sights and sounds !

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jingle, Andy & Mish--- Thanks! You guys are too kind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. storm at war... makes me thankful for our soliders

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slick presentation with vivid images, I enjoyed the piece very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent!! I like this a lot. So vivid, real, and horribly true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @marit-- I am thankful also, but I do wish there was no need for soldiers...

    @abthomas-- thanks, I'm glad you like it!

    @Charles-- thanks, but, you're right--- I wish war wasn't so "horribly true" :-/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of WW1, those terrible months in Flanders with perpetual storms and rain turning an already horrible war into an unimaginable hell. A very emotional yet succinct piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is hard to imagine what something like that would have been like. I hate everything about war. I know they are necessary, but it just seems like a tragic waste of life on all sides.

    Thanks, Li.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the wind and howling fury,
    As the storm increases its pace,
    Bombs exploding, shrapnel landing,
    Within the bunker I hide my face,
    With war or storm I know what's coming,
    Everything gone without a trace.

    Your poem is vivid and filled with emotion. Excellent write.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...