Skip to main content

Step Aside Boys, Let the Girl Show You How It's Done....

It's amazing, the little bits of family history that one stumbles upon-- especially when one isn't even looking for them. I wish it was common practice (or, I wish it was a MORE common practice), to tell children the stories of where their family came from-- what they did, and how they came to be who they were...

I feel this modern life, with its instant gratification and its forward thinking, has done a disservice to those who came before us, as well as a disservice to those of us that must continue on-- it's like our existence is just this fleeting, present moment, with nothing to tie us to anything or anyone else.

Case in point--- today, I found out, for the first time, that my Great-Aunt Lucy was a riveter who worked in a Wichita, Kansas airplane factory during World War II. And, that she'd even earned the nickname-- Lucy the Riveter. How is it that such a historic part of her life was never mentioned before?

My great-aunt was a "Rosie", though I'd never heard word of it before today. Granted, my memories of her are fleeting, I was just a child when she passed away.

I remember her renovated shotgun house. I remember her long white hair and her small frame. And, I knew she was a retired teacher, who cared enough about her kids to take them home with her if they were having problems learning. She was a staunch, solid, little woman who valued education-- even though she was from a small, rural community where education was second to the hard life of farm work.

She had no problem rolling up her sleeves to get the job done. And, from the little I do remember of her, I'm sure she had no problem telling folks to get out of her way when there was a job to do. I have no doubt she earned her nickname--- step aside boys, Lucy the Riveter will get the job done!

Comments

  1. people always seemed to have been like that back in the day - your blog is always so interesting. BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, David!

    And, you're so right...there was quite a different breed of people in the 'old days'. Kinda makes me think we take far too much for granted :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...