Skip to main content

Ashes to Trash, Dust to Rust....

Strange things have been happening lately to the cremated remains of some folks. Granted, there's probably been stranger things happen to people's remains, but, you don't often hear of it.

About a week ago, I came across an article concerning a box labeled "Grandma's Urn" left at a Goodwill Store near Flint, Michigan. Now, I know Goodwill is apt to take most anything. The whole "one man's trash is another man's treasure" is often taken literally by patrons eager to empty their back closets, broom closets, skeleton-stuffed cupboards, etc.... but, an urn? More specifically, grandma's urn???  Who'd even think of dropping off their relative at a charity shop? Is it perhaps someone's hope that another unfortunate soul might want a little portable grandma to keep them company?

Tonight, I came across a slightly more disturbing article concerning the cremated remains of someone's father. Jennie Spooner, of Amityville (we'll let the eeriness of her hometown slide for the moment) was giving her father the kind of send off he would have appreciated-- sprinkling a bit of him on a dinosaur at the Natural History Museum, attaching a bit of him to the tail of a kite and tossing some of him in the waters of Canaan Lake.

But, before she could continue his city-wide spread, she discovered that there was more than just the remains of her father included in his urn (at no extra charge, but, unwanted nonetheless)-- glass shards, metal staples and a partially melted crucifix began to appear as the level of ash in the urn diminished. (Okay, now I can't help but think about the haunted history of her hometown).

 Had thought that cremation might have been the way to go, what with the overcrowding of cemeteries and abundance of our overpopulating species....but, now, I'm not so sure--- maybe I'll just have my body launched into space, if I land on some distant planet, maybe the inhabitants there will have enough respect to handle the dead with care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...