Skip to main content

Friends, Romans, Countrymen... leave me the hell alone....

I am not a "people person"--  (ironic when you consider I'm a bookstore manager who has to deal with people on a daily basis) yet, every time I say I am not a "people person', I am met with the same response, and eerily even the same wording... "you're better with people than you think you are."

No I'm not, I can just make it look that way....

Okay, so today, after hearing the same line AGAIN, I really began to wonder why people weren't getting what I was saying--- then it hit me, they've all been "hearing" one definition of the phrase, while I was using the phrase's other definition. Apparently, what I took as a phrase that meant -- "someone who likes interacting with people", can also mean "someone with good communication skills" (which is what everybody felt the need to reassure about me).

So, what's the word/phrase for a person who has good communication skills but doesn't like interacting with people?? What do you call a person who doesn't really want to talk to people, but is okay hanging out with their friends, and is super annoyed/anxious when they have to deal with somebody that's upset or mad?? And, the first person who answers by saying "normal" gets my spacebar shoved up their nose.....

I mean, I deal with people when I have to, I love interacting with my friends, but, even that has to be in short doses sometimes. I guess when it comes right down to it--- I'm more of a people-watcher than a people-interacter.

Interacting with people for long periods of time is extremely draining. On my days off it's not out of the ordinary for me to only utter a single sentence all day.

Why do I work in retail again??  Oy vey....

Comments

  1. I'd classify you as a survivalist. You interact with people because it's a job requirement and you have a job to pay the bills and hopefully do something fun on occasion. Congratulations on overcoming your basic personality trait.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea what it's called, although I've been variously tagged as 'bitch', 'anti-social', 'hermit', 'awkward'...the list goes on. The few people I call friends have one thing in common; they understand the phrase companionable silence. We can sit and drink coffee or eat a meal, mostly in silence, and still enjoy each other's company. We may only talk on the phone or email once a month, but each knows the other is there and can be relied upon. And I am pretty happy!
    I wonder if most writers tend to be that way. Sometimes it seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E.A.S. you are the Green M&M. Stay the way you are, "Melt for no one."

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... you guys are awesome! So, I'm a survivalist green m&m with a bitchy attitude... I can dig it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post strikes a chord with me in that I have to be outgoing in my job but there are days when I find I really don't want to talk to anyone. And, of course increasingly I can do my job on email but I will miss interaction after a while so I'm only borderline antisocial maybe. And the green M&M is interesting in a way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk

Remember and Return.....

I've settled my heart in the memory of your sigh, the subtle caress of your lips. I've eased my mind's worry in the warmth of your smile, the soft embrace of your kiss. But, the time of our parting has been of a length, that I scarce can recall your words' sound. And, I fear in the depths of this consuming absence, your passions withheld, your spirit's now bound. I have not the strength to fight such a foe, as wild and untamed as the sea. I have not the will to stand at your door, and demand your decision to be, As one or the other, the sea or my love, I know I would fail to win thee. My only request, when you've ventured enough, Remember! And, return unto me.