Skip to main content

Story A Day--- Cross and Martin, part 20--- "Obscurity", 522 words.....

Obscurity 


                I felt a strong uneasiness in leaving Cross to deal with the police and the deceased suitor on his own. The body was lying in the entranceway of my rooms, after all. But, Cross assured me that he was quite comfortable dealing with the delicate situation on his own. “Besides, dear Martin, you’re most needed elsewhere,” he said, the familiar glint in his eye shining up at me. He leaned back against the couch in my sitting room, there was no pained expression on his face, but his face had no color.

                After I left word with the police that they should make their way to my address, I headed to the Adell estate. Though I’m sure I should have quickened my pace, I could not make myself move any faster. My heart might have been pounding with the increased adrenaline of someone panicked enough to sprint, but, no matter how hard I wished to make my body move faster, it would not.

                I had no earthly idea what I was going to say to Miss Adell. I had no earthly idea what I was looking for when I finally did reach the Adell estate. More than anything, I wished Cross were with me now. Or, at the very least, I wish he had told me what his suspicions were, so that I might prepare myself for what I might be walking into. Other lives were at risk, that’s what he said. Did he mean Miss Adell? Or, her father? Perhaps both?

                One of the most insufferable qualities of Cross’s character was his frugal nature in doling out his information. I don’t know if he was deliberately obtuse and unwilling to share what he knew or if he unfairly expected everyone to automatically understand the same information in the same manner as himself. Either way, all it meant was, Cross had some inkling as to what was going on while the rest of us did not. And, as I am sure that I’m not more dense than my neighbors in intuition and comprehension, it can only mean that Cross had an uncanny ability to see all ends which might be obscured to the rest of us.

                For all the distraction that dwelling on Cross’s character provided, it did nothing to prevent me from finding the Adell estate. And well before I’d like to, I was presently about to deal with a situation that I knew nothing whatsoever about. Yet again, I was soon to be standing in front of Miss Mary Adell, searching, vainly, for a way to impart the seriousness of something that concerned her.
                
                  The last time I struggled, to no avail, to find a way of warning her about her chosen suitor and his dangerous behavior. Last time, all I had were strong convictions and very little proof. This time, all I had were Cross’s strong convictions and even less proof. How was I to make Miss Adell understand that, though her treacherous suitor was not around, her life could still be in danger? How was I to tell Miss Adell that her suitor would never be coming back?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk

It's been a minute...

 Funny how time messes with us. It seems like only yesterday I was wandering around Lyon College with my little Kelpie poem placing in their annual contest. And, now, it's suddenly 4 years and a pandemic later. I will admit, that before the pandemic hit, I fell into a sort of semi-hiatus--focused heavily on some writing, with plans to start querying. And, then, when the pandemic hit, everything stopped.  So, this is just a note to say, I'll hopefully be back to regular blog updates now. At least, that's the plan! More to come....