Skip to main content

Story A Day--- Cross and Martin, part 4--- "Disappearance", 901 words.....

               Disappearance

               Following an unknown man—who Cross presumed to be Mary Adell’s new suitor—through the streets in the middle of the day was not, at all, what I expected to be doing with my time.  Though, for my part, I could hardly say I was following. With Cross’s strong hand always at my back, I was more guided, or forced, to pursue a man I knew nothing of whatsoever.

                We moved through sections of the city that I could honestly say I had never traveled through before. And, the more we traveled through, the less I wanted to see. I noted a steady decline in affluence. So much so, that once we had crossed a single-lane, stone bridge over a narrow portion of the river, I was sure we were no longer in the same world as the regal home of Miss Mary Adell.

                Slipping on several loose stones at the base of the bridge, my knee met a hole in the unforgiving pavement—my toll for passing the bridge was to leave behind a shred of my pants and the flesh from my kneecap. My abrupt stop brought hissed curses from Cross, who gruffly hoisted me to my feet.

                “Come, Martin, we shall lose him!”

                “Then, let’s lose him. I don’t see the sense in following him at all.” But, my protests fell on deaf ears. And, efforts to keep up with Cross’s long stride were thwarted by the infernal limp caused by my torn knee.

                Pulling and dragging me through the darkened, narrow alley that he was certain the suitor had run into, Cross only stopped when he met the dead-end of a wall. He only released me from his iron grip when he needed both hands to fling debris and curses at the wall.  How he had the energy to fling anything after running through a city, half-carrying an injured man, was beyond me. I barely had breath to stand upright and with the pain of my knee becoming a constant throb, I chose to give up on standing. Leaning against one wall of the alley, I slid down and came to rest on a discarded crate. At least, for the moment, I could take the weight from my throbbing knee and catch my breath.

                Cross, still in an agitated state, paced the length of the alley, occasionally hurling bits of debris as the mood struck him. I watched his eagerness to follow the suitor become a fevered obsession. A wild fury built behind his sharp eyes and the more he paced, the more pronounced it became. So much so, that my annoyance and disgust with having been pulled along in his wake slipped into uneasiness and perhaps a bit of fear.

                I suddenly realized I knew little more about Cross than I did about the unknown man we were following. And, here I was, in a darkened alley in search of one with the maddening company of the other.

                For a good ten minutes, I let Cross pace and destroy whatever he could lay his hands on. It only confirmed my belief that the neighborhood we had chanced upon was less than desirable as Cross’s rant went unnoticed, not even raising the concerns of those whose building he hurled his words and debris at.

                As my breath returned to me and the throbbing of my knee lessened, I chanced to break into Cross’s fitful trance. “What do we do now?”

                Cross stumbled mid-pace, a startled gasp issuing where there should have been curses. His focus had been of such intensity he had lost all awareness of my being with him.

In what I can only describe as a discouraged tone, Cross answered me. “I suppose we’ll have to start at the beginning once more. There must be another line, a back-path, that will lead us where we need to go.”

He emptied his hands of the last bits of debris and dusted his fingers along his pant legs. “Come, Martin, while we still have daylight.” The fierce focus returned to his face once more, a twinkling glinted from his intense eyes as he marched out of the alley.

Using the wall of the alley as a brace, I hoisted myself upright. The return of weight to my torn kneecap sent shocks of pain through my thigh and suddenly I was struggling to catch my breath again. The sweat of excruciating pain replaced the line of exhausted sweat that poured from my brow.  I took only a couple of stumbling steps before the need to stop overwhelmed me.

“Oh my dear, fellow, you are injured.” Cross materialized beside me, the fierceness melting from his face. His hands returned to my shoulders, but instead of gruffly leading me back across the bridge, his strong hands held enough of my weight that my wincing limp was bearable.

“I seem to have put a stopper in your plans to find another line of pursuit,” I managed when I had gathered enough breath. The pain was bearable enough now that I felt my breathing return to normal.

“Tut, tut, not at all. We will find that other line, but first, we must tend to your wounds.” Though the soft concern was still in his voice, the sharp focus and penetrating gaze returned to his eyes. It was then that I realized he was half-carrying me through the gates of Miss Mary Adell’s estate.

Comments

  1. They seem to be developing a rather "Watson and Holmes" relationship :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi E! This is moving along great. Ouch! I can feel that knee. I love your descriptions. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk

It's been a minute...

 Funny how time messes with us. It seems like only yesterday I was wandering around Lyon College with my little Kelpie poem placing in their annual contest. And, now, it's suddenly 4 years and a pandemic later. I will admit, that before the pandemic hit, I fell into a sort of semi-hiatus--focused heavily on some writing, with plans to start querying. And, then, when the pandemic hit, everything stopped.  So, this is just a note to say, I'll hopefully be back to regular blog updates now. At least, that's the plan! More to come....