Skip to main content

Story A Day--- Cross and Martin, part 14--- "Shock", 509 words.....

Shock


             There could be no doubt that the allure of Miss Mary Adell was captured in her eyes. Her dark pupils had a way of swallowing any and everything they looked upon. At least, that was the feeling I had when those wild, dark pupils turned their attention to me. Were I the type to believe in the supernatural, I would have called her quality, otherworldly.

                I am most sure that the power of her eyes had been present my last visit to her home, but as I was preoccupied with the state of my injury, I didn’t fully register it. Now, with no pain to distract me, the full, unnerving aspect of her eyes threatened to break my composure. Would that Cross were with me now, if only to distract me with his incessant droll about the Corbet Adams case, at least, then, I wouldn’t feel so helpless.
 
                “And, to what do I owe this unexpected visit, Mr. Martin?” The only thing strong enough to break the spell her eyes had placed me under was most assuredly the melody of her voice. Though her question rang with no hint of annoyance at being disturbed, a sudden pang of embarrassment fell heavily in my stomach.

                “I do apologize, Miss Adell, for the untimely return.” The heat rising in my cheeks broke the momentary trance I was paralyzed in. “Please don’t think me too forward, but I come to warn you about your fiancé.” Every inch of my insides began to shake. I had not the strength of will to handle such delicate matters as Cross did. Surely, it was not my place to warn her of her suitor’s murderous nature. But, I could not stand idly by while he did his best to get away with murder. What would stay his hand from Miss Mary herself if he one day lost his temper?

                “Warn me? About Manuel?” Her voice changed immediately, the melody replaced by an abrupt staccato. “What about Manuel?”

                This new sound in her voice sent shivers down my spine. I hated to bring even a hint of distress to her. There was a change in her eyes as well. What were once alluring dark wells, were now sharp and penetrating.

                “Yes, I’m afraid that is my intent,” I all but stopped breathing as I watched the change in Miss Adell come about. “It is difficult to explain the circumstances behind the suspicions surrounding your fiancé. But, suffice it to say, that my one meeting with him was not the most pleasant of events.” Her eyes flitted, searching for any deceit I might be offering.

                “I do not wish to cause you any undo alarm,” I continued. “But, I believe that it was Mr. Cross’s earnest impression that your fiancé had something to do with the death of Corbet Adams.” I swallowed hard as I finished that last, damning sentence.

                “It’s not possible… it’s not possible,” Miss Adell’s searching eyes abruptly dimmed, the last whispered breath of her suitor’s name escaping her lips as she fell. “Manuel—”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...