Skip to main content

Story A Day--- Cross and Martin, part 12--- "Refuge", 627 words.....

Refuge


            A few days sleeping on my couch and Cross was beginning to sound like his old self again. His movements were still weak, but he was clearly on the up swing. And, in the meantime, the papers wrote a very discouraging account of the fire, noting that it was believed that a certain Donaghey Cross had perished among the inferno, but that his remains had not yet been uncovered in the rubble. Cross chuckled as I read the article aloud.

                “That should set our friend’s edgy nerves free. Now, I’m sure, he believes that he’s at liberty to do just as he pleases!” With the most peaceful look on his face, Cross closed his eyes, his characteristic grin stretching across his lips. He was honestly enjoying the charade.

                So, there I was, with a dead man on my couch and a murderous man roaming free and me, the uninterested man stuck in the middle of it all.

                “Can you tell me, honestly, what purpose any of this serves? How is your death going to aid us in uncovering anything?” I tossed the paper to floor beside the couch Cross was reclined upon.

                “My dear, Martin, it’s perfectly simple.” Cross reached cautiously over the edge of the couch to pull the paper to him. I could see the color drain from his cheeks. Though he made no complaint, it was clear that his injuries were far from healed.

                “Our friend, like any other self-important criminal,” Cross continued when the color had returned to his face and his breath had steadied, “will scour the papers for news of his crime. The more dramatic the descriptions, the more praise he awards himself. He will see it as a triumph, a badge, or proof that he really is a mastermind.”

                “I still don’t see—”

                “Though the article never mentions his name, he will know the story is speaking of his actions, of his power, this will give his ego a very unnecessary boost, which, in turn, will make him very careless.” Cross paused for a moment, pulling the paper up to his face. “He will see this as a mark of his strength and will be less concerned about shielding himself and his actions. He got away with murder, surely he must be untouchable.”

                “Okay, I follow you now. But, this whole plan of yours is suddenly dependent on the level of one man’s ego to outweigh his level of caution.”

                “When have you ever known a careful man to commit murder? A careful man would ensure his hands and face were nowhere near the scene. No, our friend is not a careful man, his ego will betray him.” Cross folded the paper neatly and laid it on the back of the couch. “And, when it does, we’ll be around just to see and hear what those secrets are!

                “I am convinced that this suitor of Mary Adell is the actual murderer of Corbet Adams, in fact, I’m certain of it. The only thing that remains is to uncover exactly how he did it and why.” Cross slipped into the unconsciousness of sleep.

                As I watched the knots from his furrowed brow release, it struck me exactly what we were going up against. If Cross was right about the ego of the suitor, then it could mean that one, even two deaths were just a means to bolster his reputation. But, what if he found out that one of those deaths, that he was using to prop up his credibility, turned out to not be a death at all? What would it mean for Cross if this man suddenly realized he was still alive? What would it mean for me when the suitor found out I had given Cross refuge?   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...