Skip to main content

Story A Day--- Cross and Martin, part 18--- "Eyes", 530 words.....

Eyes


          Silence had never been more deafening, or its weight more suffocating.

          Once the treble of the suitor’s struggled breath and the thunderous beat of his heart had ceased, there was nothing to fill the empty air that hung in the entranceway.

          Cross, still propping himself up with the wall, shuffled toward me. I, for my part, didn’t move. I am most positive that I didn’t even breathe until the pain of my suffering lungs forced me to do so—though drawing the much needed air into my lungs only reminded me of the state of my cracked ribs.

          My mind was suddenly reeling with the events that had taken place. I replayed the last ten minutes in my head again and again, thinking, surely, there must be something that I missed. Something during our struggle, that I had been too distracted to notice, must explain what happened.

          As it was, I stood shaken and bruised with Cross, equally shaken, though far more bruised, beside me. While our attacker, that neither one of us had lain a hand on, lay dead at our feet. He was sprawled out, facedown, the knife he had clenched in his hand, a few inches from him.

          “I don’t under—” I started, the words choking in my throat.

          “Shh.” Cross took a staggered step from the wall. His movements, slow and measured, positioned him next to the suitor’s body. A pained expression creased his brow as he knelt on the floor next to the body. But, that expression of discomfort lasted only a moment.

          An expression of precise scrutiny, of cold calculation even, swept across Cross’s face. Not moving from the position that I stood, though I did allow myself the luxury of breathing, I watched as Cross moved along the dead man’s body. Tracing—though never touching— Cross examined the outline of the back of the suitor’s frame from the top of his head to his boots.

          Only when he had satisfied himself that nothing appeared out of the ordinary from behind did Cross venture to turn the body of the victim over. I gasped when Cross moved aside to reveal the man’s face. His jaw slack from his gasping death was nothing to compare to his eyes. Wide open and staring, a wild, haunted look shown from them, his black pupils all but filling the center of his eyes so there was little color from his hazel irises showing. The look of his pupils was so unnerving that a shiver ran along my spine. It was as if they opened into the great pit of hell itself, desiring to swallow any and everything that stood before them.

          What madness could draw a man to his death? What horrors, that were whispered of  in his black eyes, would break such a man without any mark of violence? What devilry was at work here?

           The disturbing quality of his face was more than I could handle and I felt that if I didn’t step away soon, there would be a second body on the floor of the entranceway.

          “His eyes…” The only words I managed to squeak out to Cross.

          “Precisely.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Y is for Yeth Hound.....

Yeth Hound--- one of the incarnations of the "Black Dog" myth, this one located specifically, in Devon, England.

"Black Dogs" appear in myths across the world, most are associated with death and bad omens... i.e. Hell Hounds.

The Yeth Hound is said to be the spirit of an unbaptised child that takes the form of a headless black dog. The Hound wanders the woods at night making pitiful wailing sounds (though, I'm unclear as to how it makes wailing sounds without having a head).

The Black Dogs were possibly one inspiration from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's ghost dog in The Hound of the Baskervilles-- "an enormous coal-black hound, but not such a hound as mortal eyes have ever seen."



Heed Not, the Lonesome Cry
Heed not, the lonesome cry, the baleful wail echoing through the woods. Seek not, the black hound's sigh, look not where the headless creature stood.
One sound, your limbs will shake, your heart filled with the deepest dread. One glimpse, your sou…

I is for...

... Iron Maiden


The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? ---Edgar Allan Poe


---and not the English heavy metal band from East London...

Day 2 in the realm of morbid/macabre torture devices finds us back in the Middle Ages (there was definitely a fashionable trend of imaginative torture devices during this time). Though, the Middle Ages isn't really when we should be turning our attention when we discuss the Iron Maiden. In fact, there has been some debate as to the exact appearance of this monstrous creation.

It's probably easiest to relocate such a torturous thing back to a time when it seemed everyone was as skilled at exacting a confession as they were at creating the tools to exact those confessions. It's easier to blame ancestors from several hundred years ago than to accept that anyone of civilized disposition would be capable of doing such horrible things with such terrif…

V is for...

... Vrolik Museum



The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? ---Edgar Allan Poe




How about a morbid museum?

Still used by the medical faculty and students at the University of Amsterdam, the Vrolik Museum is a unique collection of odd bones and skulls, pathogenic specimens, and an assortment of anomalous embryos.

The collection was amassed by Dutch anatomist, Gerardus Vrolik (1775-1859) and continued by his son, Dutch anatomist and pathologist, Willem Vrolik (1801-1863). And since Willem's death, various donations have expanded the collection even further. Most specimens are human, though a few zoological specimens have trickled into the collection. Preserved remains, plaster casts, and various models show an assortment of congenital deformities and malformations.

This is one of those places that isn't for the faint of heart---certainly not for those who are easily moved or triggered by…