Skip to main content

E is for...

....Edgar

As in.... Allan Poe


The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
---Edgar Allan Poe



The Cardinal

Okay, so this is a bit of a cheat since Poe should actually fall under letter "P", but I have something else I'd like to use for "P" and this is my blog, so I'll cheat if I want----

Besides, we all know that when the morbid and the macabre is being discussed, there is no way that Edgar Allan Poe won't make an appearance at some point, especially as he's given me the header quote for each day's post.

This will most likely be a tribute post more than a "how does Poe relate to the world of all things morbid", since there's probably only a ridiculously small handful of people who don't know Edgar Allan Poe and what he's done for the world of horror/mystery/Gothic specialties.

Orphaned at a young age, losing one of his adopted parents by
the age of 20, and his own child-wife when he was 38, death followed Poe throughout his life until his own early and mysterious death at the age of 40. If ever there was a soul whose existence was scripted to embrace the darkness of life, surely that soul would have been Poe.

The masses of Poe-ites will always have their favorite poem or short story or quote or whatever. And, I'm no different... some of my favorites include, The Raven, of course...The Tell-tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, Fall of the House of Usher, The Gold Bug, The Black Cat, Annabel Lee...








Comments

  1. LMAO! I don't think this challenge wouldn't be complete without you throwing POE oops I mean (Edgar) into the mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooooow... I actually don't think my life would be complete without a little Edgar in the mix :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that quote from Poe. Actually I love anything about Poe. Great info here!
    (new follower)
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...