Skip to main content

H is for...

... Heretic's Fork


The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
---Edgar Allan Poe




The Bishop


Ahhhh, nothing says morbid and macabre better than a bit of torture....

Heretic's Fork
Today's morbid lovely dates back to the Middle Ages. Used during the Spanish Inquisition (of course) and in
other "confessional" scenarios, this double-ended, two-pronged "fork" was attached to its victim's neck with a leather strap and positioned so that one end of the fork pressed under the chin and the other end pressed into the breast bone.

The victims were then suspended from the ceiling, or perhaps just chained against the wall. They were always left upright, however, which meant they often suffered injury if they allowed their heads to droop forward by falling asleep.

The purpose of the Heretic's Fork wasn't death--though death would sometimes follow because of latent infections and shock and sleep deprivation, etc. No, the purpose of the Heretic's Fork was to extract confessions and convince heretics to recant so they could be welcomed back into the loving arms of the Church. Many of the devilish devices were engraved with the Latin word abiuro (I recant).

Wax Inquisition Victim at Museum of
Medieval Torture Instruments, Amsterdam
I'm pretty sure the level of increasing pain and neck strain would be more than any sane individual could hope to handle---at least for no more than a day or two, surely.The level of sleep deprivation alone would have convinced me to confess to being a purple martian and would have me,willingly and eagerly, knocking on the doors of the nearest holy house.









Comments

  1. That looks like some elaborate S&M toy. Not something i would want to mess with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really doesn't look like it would be any fun, lol :-)

      Delete
  2. That is one horrible device. I can feel the nightmares creeping up already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...just thinking about it gives me the shivers...and a neck ache!

      Delete
  3. is that a wax transvestite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it's bad form to insult torture victims, lol....he can't help what his captors, er sculptors dressed him in ;-P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...