Skip to main content

L is for Loch Ness Monster....

With Kelpie, for my 'K' entry, still fresh, I thought it'd be fun to stick to the water for a bit. So, while we're in the realm of Celtic water creatures, why not visit with the most famous and widely known of aquatic beasties---- the Loch Ness Monster.

Though, Nessie, sort of skirts the line of supernatural creature as it is purported by many to be a cryptid, a creature whose existence has yet to be identified by the scientific community.

Those who believe Nessie an unidentified animal, have speculated that it is from the line of Plesiosaurs, while the scientific community claims it's just a modern-day myth, or at the very worst--- a hoax.

I've included the Loch Ness Monster as part of my Supernatural theme because, like Bigfoot, there's an, albeit EXTREMELY, remote chance that it's real, but, like ghosts, I won't believe it until I see it myself----- I'm a card-carrying skeptic, but, I can enjoy a smidgen of the illogical now-and-again---- wasn't it Willy Wonka who said/sang "A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men."


Such Things as Dreams

Those little tricks,
your eyes doth play,
while gazing out to sea.

A shadowed crown,
all-seeing eye,
the water's silent plea.

One creature, dark,
perhaps or not,
swimming out of view.

Blink once, blink twice,
he's gone once more,
'til twilight comes anew.

                                                                                                 ---e.a.s. demers

Comments

  1. you could almost cheat with this one and say it was your L M &N post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwhahaha..... too bad I didn't think about that at the time :-)

      Delete
  2. I sort of hope the Loch Ness Monster actually is real. Just to add to the strange things who share our world with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      It would definitely be awesome if Science did, one day, prove they exist(ed)...

      Delete
  3. Hey, just dropping by for the A-Z. Such a cool collection of critters you've served up for us - but did you run out of energy and/or time with L? :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yeah.... It's sometime a bit difficult to balance the energy it takes to work around the energy it takes to blog----

      Delete
  4. I like to believe in Nessy. Never been to Scotland, but some day I'd like to have a look for myself. One of my piano students is playing a Loch Ness song for recital. We both like the sound of it, starting low, creeping up, dancing around a bit, then slinking back into the depths.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...