Skip to main content

O is for...

... Overtoun Bridge



The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
---Edgar Allan Poe


The Monk
This one is a bit of a morbid mystery-- a depressingly morbid mystery. And, that's saying a lot, coming from me...

Overtoun House
In West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, a 19th-century estate, Overtoun House, sits on a hill overlooking the River Clyde. The large, 2,000-acre estate is split by a waterfall on the Overtoun Burn. To connect the two sections of the estate, a road was built and the Overtoun Bridge erected.

Overtoun House is gorgeous, the estate picturesque. One would think a more heavenly place couldn't exist---but, all this beauty hides a dark secret--------- Overtoun Bridge is a killer! And not just your run-of-the-mill opportunistic killer either, nope this bridge is a serial killer with a penchant for canines.

Waterfall at Overtoun Burn
Aptly-named, the-dog-suicide-bridge, Overtoun Bridge has developed a reputation for being the final
walking path for some 60+ dogs. The rounded parapets atop the bridge lead to a 40-50 foot drop into an unforgiving gorge.

Families have walked their dogs, lead firmly in hand, only to watch in horror as their beloved furry child suddenly disappears over the edge of the bridge.

Overtoun Bridge
The big question is, WHY do dogs suddenly leap from the bridge?

Though, the even bigger question, in my mind is, WHY DO PEOPLE CONTINUE TO WALK THEIR DOGS ANYWHERE NEAR THIS BRIDGE????

There have been some interesting stories floating around as to why, some based in science, most based in the paranormal. Even as exciting as the paranormal answers seem, I'm more inclined to believe the answer to be more science-based. In fact, one Animal Behaviorist seems to think it's connected with the introduction of Mink from North America in the UK. It seems the "suicide rate" increased exponentially after the Mink were released into the wild. The Animal Behaviorist believes it to be related to the scenting of Minks---this theory is supported by the fact that most dogs that leapt over the bridge were breeds with long snouts, ie "scenting dogs".

The dogs, the Behaviorist believes, are catching a whiff of Mink scent and are trying to follow it, not knowing the tragic end that awaits them on the other side of the parapet...
Overtoun Bridge

Abandon hope, all you doggies who dare cross the Burn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

Remember and Return.....

I've settled my heart in the memory of your sigh, the subtle caress of your lips. I've eased my mind's worry in the warmth of your smile, the soft embrace of your kiss. But, the time of our parting has been of a length, that I scarce can recall your words' sound. And, I fear in the depths of this consuming absence, your passions withheld, your spirit's now bound. I have not the strength to fight such a foe, as wild and untamed as the sea. I have not the will to stand at your door, and demand your decision to be, As one or the other, the sea or my love, I know I would fail to win thee. My only request, when you've ventured enough, Remember! And, return unto me.

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk