Skip to main content

K is for Kerosene.....

A petroleum distillate, kerosene has been used for centuries as a source of heat and light. Often going by the name of paraffin in the UK and other parts of the world, the process for distilling crude oil and petroleum into kerosene has been written about since the 9th century. But, it wasn't until 1846, when Abraham Gesner, who coined the name kerosene, gave a public demonstration of an innovative distillation process which rendered a thin clear liquid, that kerosene became the new and improved lamp fuel.

Over the years, kerosene's uses have widened to include cooking fuels, insecticides and even entertainment in performances that incorporate fire breathing and fire juggling.

As a pesticide, kerosene is extremely effective at killing large numbers of insects--- most notably, bed bugs and head lice. It can even be applied to standing pools of water to kill mosquito larvae.

As beneficial as kerosene has been over the centuries, it is, nevertheless a potent toxin, where ingestion of the liquid or even prolonged inhalation of its fumes can be deadly.



Kerosene Illuminations

Light the lamp as the dark of evening falls,
the bright, crisp, clear flame ascending,
fear not the black of night's feral call,
bask in the lantern's glow, unending.

                                                                                      --- e.a.s. demers

Comments

  1. Very interesting...and you have interesting topics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the light shed by all manner of oil lamps--kerosene included. Alas, these days, we're lazy. When we camp, the lamp light is electric and we cook with Sterno (jellied alcohol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love oil lamps too... if I could, I'd get rid of all the electric lights in our apartment---though, I don't think the husband would look too kindly on that, lol...

      Delete
  3. Kerosene lamps are really beautiful. We have one we occasionally take out on gloomy nights or when the power goes out.

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Dianna Fielding
    Sociologyfornerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting.. I was trying to find where the name "Kerosene" came from for a project I am working on. "Kero" is greek for wax and "-ene" relates to unsaturated hydrocarbons just in case anyone is interested. Not sure why he did not call it "Gesner" though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting.... and, yeah, not sure why it wasn't called a Gesner Lamp...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...