Skip to main content

Some well known, some well-to-do, a couple of Harry's and a Hobbit or two...

H is for Honored memories.....

A day late and almost running into the day for the ' I ' post, I can offer little more than a few memorable 'H's', both imaginary and real, that have left an imprint....

Sherlock Holmes, the incomparable consulting detective, who made me cherish reason and logic and was key in my desire to develop a keen eye for catching the most obscure detail.

Nathaniel Hawthorne, who made me love the tragic, the dark and the mystical.

Hamlet, the melancholy Dane, whose tragic tale has always reminded me of the importance of listening to your own heart while searching for truth, but to never forget to temper that passionate drive with reason lest it lead to your own downfall.

Harry Houdini, whose wondrously magical feats, be they fake or real, have always inspired the idea that there are more truths in the world than we might ever know. In you, sir, I shall always 'Believe.'

Harry Potter, who reminds me that it isn't what we are born as much as the choices we make that determines who we are. And, that the greatest importance is in being true to ourselves and loyal to our friends.

And, Hobbits, the dearest of creatures, who cherish the simple things and remind us that though we may be small, though we may be severely out-forced and out-numbered, we may still have the means to change the course of the future. 




Comments

  1. Oh how I loved Houdini as a child. Coudn't get enough of him. He was an entertainer ahead of his time.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    Happy A to Z,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I'm visiting through the A to Z Challenge. HP and Hobbits? Can't go wrong.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deirdra--- Thanks so much for the award!

    @Lucy--- Houdini always fascinated me as a child as well...and yes, he was definitely ahead of his time :-)

    @Marie--- Thanks for stopping by, glad you appreciated my Harry/Hobbit mash-up :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...