Skip to main content

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine..........

1./ Dead Blackbirds fall from the Arkansas sky
2./ Dead Drum fish float up from the Arkansas river
3./ ????

So, I never did get the third piece of my apocalyptic trinity. I never did get my eagerly anticipated visit from the Winchester boys and one lovely angel, Castiel. Guess I should be satisfied with the portents we got, even if they didn't lead to a smashing End-Of-The-World party----- ah, well.


Dante and Virgil in Hell

We got our dead Blackbirds and our dead Drum fish ---- I was hoping for the third piece, the mocking of the trinity, that solid confirmation that we were living in a newly-discovered portal to Hell, if just to have something more to talk about than the weather and the state of world politics.

Funny how people are so ready to scream the end is coming as soon as something unexplainable happens. How many times, in just my lifetime alone, have I heard the numbers are aligning for the end of the world?? Too many to count.... and each time, the dreaded dead-line (pun intended) passes and we still find ourselves breathing in mortal air.

More often than not, there is an explanation for these "unexplainable" events, it's just nobody bothers to give anybody the time needed to uncover the answer. It's just so much easier to jump on the "End of the World" bandwagon because that bandwagon is already loaded with all the factory extras. It takes no energy, no effort and no expended braincells to tout a belief that's already fully-formulated and all-inclusive.

We've survived the Great Earthquake that was supposed to level Memphis in 1990---- the pattern every school kid was fond of chiming off.... prophesied to happen 12/3 @ 4:56pm, 7.8 on the Richter scale in year 90..... if that doesn't teach a kid to count properly, I don't know what will. I think I was watching an episode of Batman in my inner-city Memphis home at that time of day.....

We've survived the great Y2K scare without the national grid imploding. The grocery store shelves had been cleaned out and the area was setting up for wide-spread panic. There were plenty of people who had wished they had paid more attention during scouts as living off the land might now become necessary. I think I was using an electric mixer as the clock chimed the new year in--- I was baking a cake that New Year's Eve....

So why do we all fall for the same End-Of-The-World crap every time something else comes up?? Why do we get excited or scared shit-less about something that's been tossed around more times than we can count?? Wouldn't there be far better uses of our time?? 

The only End-Of-The-World hullabaloo that I'll be willing to believe, would be the End that we bring about ourselves. Nothing is quite so self-destructive as a human who is determined to prove a point.

So, even with the prophesied return of Quetzalcoatl, I feel confident that we will survive 2012 unscathed. I'll probably be making cookies that night, just in case--- do you think Castiel likes Chocolate Chips??

Besides, Marty McFly's been Back to the Future and it was pretty clear that we were all still alive and kicking in the year 2015-----and I really want to stick around for my Hoover Board!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

Remember and Return.....

I've settled my heart in the memory of your sigh, the subtle caress of your lips. I've eased my mind's worry in the warmth of your smile, the soft embrace of your kiss. But, the time of our parting has been of a length, that I scarce can recall your words' sound. And, I fear in the depths of this consuming absence, your passions withheld, your spirit's now bound. I have not the strength to fight such a foe, as wild and untamed as the sea. I have not the will to stand at your door, and demand your decision to be, As one or the other, the sea or my love, I know I would fail to win thee. My only request, when you've ventured enough, Remember! And, return unto me.

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk