Skip to main content

Caution: Don't Feed The Customers....

Customers are strange creatures. The last couple of days have been an exercise in reminding me of this-----

Somewhere along the way, the idea of a bookstore has become synonymous with an information help line (seems plausible as we generally have quite a bit of updated information at our fingertips), though most often, we are used as a library (again very plausible, in most schools and perhaps some homes, children are taught how libraries work well before they understand how to purchase a book). Those of us in the retail end of the book business deal with these things on a daily basis--we've all had the customer who expects us to find the red book he saw promoted on his favorite news program 3 weeks ago that we had on a table near the door 2 weeks prior and why don't we have it waiting for him at customer service already.... *sigh*

But, sometimes there are moments in the day where we pause for a moment and think to ourselves, really? Did he/she just ask that? Most things are completely innocuous, and if they thought about what they were actually asking, we hope the customer would realize how bizarre it sounds from the other side. Though, perhaps not....

First was a man on the phone:

Customer--Can you give me the number to the bookstore?
Me--???  You want the phone number to the bookstore you just called?
Customer-- No, I know there's a bookstore in **name of our shopping center**
Me--Yes sir, that's us.
Customer-- And there's a bookstore right across from you.
Me--You mean **name of our competitor**?
Customer--Yes, but, I don't want their phone number. I want the phone number to the bookstore. You know, the used place where they're doing some construction.
**it dawns on me he's referring to a small, used bookstore, cleverly called The Bookstore, about 5 miles from us, one of those places everybody loves, but, that might shut down before you can turn around**
Me-- Oh, you mean, The Bookstore. I don't even know if that store is still there anymore.
Customer--It's still there. Now, do you have their phone number?
Me--No sir, the only bookstore's number I have is the one you just called.
Customer--Oh, okay, thanks anyway. *phone clicks off*

Sorry, we don't keep random phone numbers about our person--especially those of our competition--we are a bookstore, not "information"--they can be reached by dialing 411 

Then there was the man who stomped his way up to customer service 2 hours before we closed:

Customer--What do you guys do with the books that are left out at night? **he stares me down with the most accusatory glare I've ever received**
Me--The books left out?
Customer--Yeah, I was reading a book the other night and left it on the table, what do you guys do with them?
Me--We shelve them all before we leave the store.
Customer--Uh, I just looked on the shelf and my book isn't there. So where is it?
Me--What's the name of the book?
Customer--**rambles off title of the book**
Me--**pulls book up in computer** Well, it looks like the book might have sold since the other night.
Customer-- Scoffs-- Great, now I HAVE to buy it on my iPad. **stomps away from the customer service desk**

Sorry, what part of bookSTORE do you have a problem understanding. I apologize that the book you were reading here the other night (which we make no qualms about you doing for FREE) was sold between the time you left and the time you came back, but, that's what happens at bookSTORES. If you didn't care enough about the book to buy it in the first place, don't get mad at me when someone who does care enough about it comes along and takes it to its forever home.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk

Remember and Return.....

I've settled my heart in the memory of your sigh, the subtle caress of your lips. I've eased my mind's worry in the warmth of your smile, the soft embrace of your kiss. But, the time of our parting has been of a length, that I scarce can recall your words' sound. And, I fear in the depths of this consuming absence, your passions withheld, your spirit's now bound. I have not the strength to fight such a foe, as wild and untamed as the sea. I have not the will to stand at your door, and demand your decision to be, As one or the other, the sea or my love, I know I would fail to win thee. My only request, when you've ventured enough, Remember! And, return unto me.