Skip to main content

My Write-y Senses are Tingling.....

So, I just went through my submissions spreadsheet for this year's Short Story contests.... somehow, I assumed I was woefully behind and had missed dozens of deadlines because I hadn't submitted anything in the month of January.

There were about 3 contests whose deadlines passed in January that I was well aware of. Still feeling the draining effects of having survived another Christmas working retail, having prepared for a huge book sale and signing event with a local school and just getting over a mild flu, I agreed to allow the January deadlines to pass without a second thought. As much as it pains me to admit---- I really can't do EVERYTHING....

And, now February is well into its first week without a known deadline itching in the back of mind.... this is when the panic alarms started tingling in the depths of my subconscious---- if it's possible to have the Spidey-Senses version of writing 'alarm bells', then I gots 'em.....

I'm one of those people that has to have a specific date in mind to know what is coming up, and to prepare for what I might miss, and without a specific date in mind, I begin to panic, thinking that I've let dozens or hundreds of things slip by.

I knew my January deadlines---- I had known them since December. And, I should have picked up my February deadlines in January as I dutifully worked through my January dates. But, as I didn't work through any submissions in January.....

I fully expected to open my neglected submission spreadsheet and see at least 2 deadlines looming for tomorrow or today even. I also expected to see 3 deadlines for Feb. 1st that had already flown by. So, holding my breath and with one eye squeezed tight, I clicked open my submission tracker and lo..... there are NO deadlines for the month of February!!!!!!!! Whew!!!!!!!!!!  I have not failed at life!!!!!!!

There are a couple mid-March and a couple more at the end of March, but that's it..... I hate when the panic bells ring a false alarm---- well, maybe I don't. At least it WAS a false alarm.

Also noticed that I currently only have 1 short story that is not otherwise occupied in previous contest deadlines....which was very surprising. I was positive that several other "winners-announced" dates had passed---freeing up my arsenal of shorts to send out---but, they have not. There are still 3 looming announcement dates that are tying up stories.

Though I know it's common practice to send out the same story, article, etc to multiple contests/journals, I really prefer not to, at least, not yet. I like the idea of the story being exclusive to wherever it currently is...that way, if it is picked up, I haven't wasted the contest money somewhere else AND I don't have to go through the effort of "removing" it from every other place that it is currently participating.

So, my Write-y Senses might have been tingling to remind me to check my submissions tracker, if for no other reason that to assure me that I still have stories floating about and that if I'd like to submit to the March deadlines, that I need to start working on new shorts as those deadlines will hit while I still have other stories out in the contest ether....

Now, if I could just get a certain superhero theme-song out of my head......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered

Remember and Return.....

I've settled my heart in the memory of your sigh, the subtle caress of your lips. I've eased my mind's worry in the warmth of your smile, the soft embrace of your kiss. But, the time of our parting has been of a length, that I scarce can recall your words' sound. And, I fear in the depths of this consuming absence, your passions withheld, your spirit's now bound. I have not the strength to fight such a foe, as wild and untamed as the sea. I have not the will to stand at your door, and demand your decision to be, As one or the other, the sea or my love, I know I would fail to win thee. My only request, when you've ventured enough, Remember! And, return unto me.

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk