Skip to main content

Redemption.....

Just saw the sneak preview of "The Kite Runner" with several of my book club buddies. And though some aspects of the book were missing in the cinema production, I definitely have to admit the movie was just as moving as the book itself. It is a definite "must-see"!!!!

So, the overwhelming question of this night, as well as the book discussion night, was that of redemption. Is it always possible to redeem oneself? Or are some things completely unforgivable? The idea of something being completely unforgivable is so powerful and frankly it's also emotionally terrifying. I can in no way imagine (and plan on never HAVING to imagine) what living with such intense life-long guilt could do to a person. What lengths would you go to just to alleviate the guilt? Even living the rest of one's life for the sole purpose of making amends may not ever be enough for some things.

Back to the movie or book :).... did Amir ever finally redeem himself for his silence? What about Baba's redemption for lying? These are questions every reader/viewer must decide for themselves. As for me, I think if their mistakes had only affected themselves, their redemption may have been easily attained. But, I guess if their mistakes ONLY affected themselves, then would the question of redemption even be necessary??

Comments

  1. I so can't wait to see this movie, I think I'll try the book first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you MUST read the book first...there are so many little nuances that you won't get if you just watch the movie.

    The movie was AWESOME in its own right, but if you plan on doing both the movie and the book----definitely read the book first!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z reflections....

Another A to Z challenge comes to an end--- another collection of posts and poetry have been written, another deep breath of relief is released. For my fellow bloggers that survived as well, it's another 'challenge-completed' notch carved into the writing desk. I've come to enjoy my yearly foray into the world of all things alphabetical. This was my third year, though it was only the second year I had a workable theme (which made the challenge substantially easier than the first year I attempted this challenge.) And, though my first year was difficult because my focus was so scattered, I found this year was more  difficult because I lost the enthusiasm that came with the first year excitement----excitement which helped me plug along until the end of the challenge. Year 3 was a success in the sense that I completed the challenge, though, this was the year that almost wasn't---- Somewhere about a third of the way through the challenge, I seriously considered...

B is for Banshee.....

Irish bean sidhe  and Scottish Gaelic bean sith , literally, woman of fairyland. The mythology and legend surrounding the Banshee is a bit mixed. The most readily accepted story is of a hag-like creature wailing the impending death of someone nearby-- most ancient Gaelic families, especially the more well-to-do families, had their own Banshees that attached themselves to the lineage of the family name. I suppose it was a sign of station for a family to be able to claim their own Banshee--- I mean, who needs an exciting/ tongue-wagging-inciting skeleton in your cupboard when you've got a Banshee wailing in your rafters? The origins of the more familiar Banshee may have stemmed from the ancient Keeners-- women who were employed to sing a lament at a funeral. The best Keeners were in high demand to "wail" and "weep" for the great personage who had fallen. The Great families would boast a bean sidhe  or bean sith--  a fairy-woman Keener--and having foresig...

A-Z Reflections, year 4....

A-Z blogging challenge for 2014 has come and gone, seemingly without my realizing it. And, though I fell behind once or twice toward the end, I finished this year's challenge right on time. Really, I can't believe it's already over. I feel like I just finished my post for letter A... Year 4, for this blogger, was a far cry from the tortured state of despondency that was most of  Year 3 -- I'll not mention the irony of this year's focus on death being easier to blog about than last year's foray into supernatural creatures, we'll leave that for my therapy sessions *ahem* As always, A-Z brought with it, not only 26 days of unbridled and far-reaching knowledge (disguised as entertaining and thought-provoking blog-posts), but a chance to connect with new faces while reconnecting with familiar faces--who had perhaps drifted away--from A-Z's past.  I am always amazed by the ingenuity and inspiration that comes from lumping a couple thousand folk...